Thursday, July 2, 2015

Bookshelf Progress Report

Hello everyone!

Before stain
This is the first of, what I assume will be many, #shelfies (get it?) that I plan on sharing with you all. My bookshelf that we started around Easter time is almost done! Last night I finished up some sanding and put all of the wood putty into the nail holes. Tonight I'll be applying the stain!

My current book storage method involves milk crates and cardboard boxes, all of which are tucked away underneath my bed. I'm pumped to finally have an opportunity to display my collection on a bookshelf instead of stowing them away out of sight!
Stain sample

The shelf is custom built to fit a specific wall in my bedroom; it's 6' tall and about 32" wide. The wood that we chose to use is oak. Right now, the running joke within is family is that they hope I don't move too many times in the future, because this puppy is HEAVY! I chose a Teak color for the stain, and we will be using a Clear Satin varnish for the finish.


Ready for varnish!

The best part is that my Grandfather made the shelf himself. It was great to get to work with him on the design and to help with some of the actual construction along the way. He and I have always had a special relationship, so I love that I'll have something to remember him by for years to come. 

I will post pictures of the finished shelf when it's ready to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment