Friday, October 2, 2015

Hannah Reviews: "Schooled" by Gordon Korman

Title: Schooled
Author: Gordon Korman
Published: 2008
Genre: Realistic Fiction, YA 

Hannah's back, everyone! This time she's put together a short 'n sweet review of "Schooled" by Gordon Korman for you!


I first came across Schooled by Gordon Korman when I was helping sort through extra books we had lying around at our house. Since my Mom is a teacher who has taught every grade from Kindergarten to eighth, she has quite a few books that seem to come from nowhere. I figured, being a future teacher myself, I would see what it had to offer. 

Although this book was written in 2007, you would have expected it to be written in the 60s or 70s based on the cover art. In fact, it is about a boy in 2007 who has been raised on a commune by his grandmother his entire life. When circumstances conspire that force him to leave the commune for a time, his world is shifted upside down. 14-year old Capricorn Anderson is forced to go to a real live public middle school for the first time ever. Crazy situations ensue, but in the end both Capricorn and the other students at the school learn a lot about each other. 

I rather liked this book, however I did think that only some students might enjoy this book. There is not much background knowledge involved, but I think it makes a little more sense if one knows a little bit about the hippie movement. I would probably recommend it for students from 5th-8th grade. I give it 3 out of 5 beans.

Hannah Says:



Guys, this blog would seriously not exist without Hannah! It's so hard sometimes to come up with content for y'all while trying to stay focused on school and work. So, I absolutely rely on her to help me out every now and then! Thanks, girl! I owe you a coffee (or five)!!!



1 comment: